Tonight I did something I've been putting off ever since I got back from my last visit trip in July. I called Isabelle's foster family. My friend Monica came over to translate, which I appreciate SOO much.
Even though the conversations are hard, I still love to get to connect with them, to find out how Isabelle is doing, and just to find out a little about them. But as I have gotten closer and closer to bringing Isabelle home, it has been hard not to feel guilty about how sad they are going to be to lose her.
I know they love her, I know Ana has been fostering for 10 years, and I know that Isabelle is the last baby that they will foster (the laws have changed and are no longer allowing fostering). They are such a wonderful family I think it is sad that they will not be able to provide a loving environment for any more babies.
My joy is their pain, and that's hard. Originally, we had talked about spending time together on the pick up trip and they had invited me out to their house. As the time has drawn closer, though, I realize how incredibly painful that would be for all of us.
And so tonight was my chance to ask just about everything I wanted to ask about doctor's visits and illnesses and eating habits and stuff because I don't think any of us will be able to handle much when they bring Isabelle on Monday.
She is also intimidated by my facilitator and attorney (both are incredibly nice - I think it is just because of the positions they are in) and she won't say much in front of them. She has allowed me to call her but has not been the one to initiate contact - she doesn't want to upset anyone.
Anyway, it was wonderful to hear how much they have loved Isabelle and I promised to visit. She said other families have promised but none of them have ever done it. I told her they probably aren't as widely traveled as I am :) I had told her in the past about living in South Africa and England so that maybe she'd understand that I travel a lot and would not be scared to come to Guatemala by myself!
As much as I am looking forward to Monday, I also know that it is going to be an incredibly emotional day for all of us involved. Please pray for Isabelle's foster family and help them to know how much I love them for what they have done for Isabelle and for me!
P.S. I'm having serious problems with my firstborn. Faith (my dog) is managing to unpack the suitcases just about as quickly as I put things in them. She's having serious attachment issues this week and is in my lap all the time (well, except when she's back in the bedrooms unattended unpacking the suitcases!) Poor dog. Little does she know...
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I can only imagine how hard Monday will be for everyone. I will be thinking of you all. Faith too!
I will be praying for you. Saying goodbye to our foster family was very hard. Many, many tears on everyone's part. We e-mail frequently and I think that helps her alot. I'm with you - we WILL visit one day. Have a fabulous pick-up trip. Savor every moment.
Lynn
Yes, Monday will be hard. Having been there just three weeks ago, I know what a joyfully sad moment you are about to experience. But it will be a great feeling to breath in a way you haven't since your adoption began. Take care, I can't wait to meet Isabelle. Gabriel and Joseph are anxious to take her to the park!
PS Hug Berena for me! We miss her!!
CONGRATS on PINK !!!!!!!!!! Stella was the last baby too for her foster mom. Courtney
Post a Comment