Isabelle's speech is coming along in leaps and bounds! I was really afraid that not bringing her home until 16 1/2 months would lead to (understandable) speech delays. The good news, though, is she has come along waaaay faster than I ever would have dreamed! She's actually started speaking in sentences...
A few examples:
"Mommy. Mimi nay-nay."
Translation: Mommy, my diaper is stinky. I want a new one now. Here, I'll go get it for you, then I'll lay down on the floor. I'll even get a wipe. But no, I won't go on the potty. I got bored with that. Oh, and "mimi" is "Mickey." As in the mouse. Mickey is on her diapers, so now her diapers have just become "Mickeys." Guess I can't change to the cheaper brand non-Mickey diapers now...
"Mommy, door? Belle zozo?"
Translation: Mommy, I need you to go through the door and down the hall into my room and get me my oso (bear). I need him NOW.
"Mama?" (with hands in the air, palms up)
Translation: Mommy, I want to read "I Love You Stinky Face" as my bedtime story, but I can't find it. Will you please help me look for it?
(when asked about her dog at any point in the last week) "Wawa Gail."
Translation: My dog Eli went to Gail's house. I seem to have forgotten about my dog Faith :( I only ask about Eli.
(when in my office at church) "Mommy, Lolo." (pointing at ceiling)
Translation: Mommy, I am tired of playing with your yoga ball in here and all my post-it notes have lost their sticky. Will you please take me up to the nursery so I can play with Lois (older lady at church who keeps the nursery)?
"Mommy, zoso nay-nay."
Translation: Mommy, my bear has a stinky diaper, but don't worry I'm taking care of it. Don't try to help because I am independent. In fact, if you try to help I am most likely going to throw myself on the floor and wail while I beat my hands and feet into the floor.
"My-ow eesh. Da mommy."
Translation: "I want my meow (cat) shoes. Mommy, I need my socks."
"Teef."
Translation: You forgot to brush my teeth. Again.
"Eesh. Zozo. Bows. Nay-Nay. Nose. Mimi. Teef. More. Wawa. Dogs. Milk."
Translation: I'm awake for the day. I'm in my crib and ready to come out. I need my shoes, please get me my bear and put in my bows. I'm stinky and need a new diaper. Look mom - I've been picking my nose again and it is bleeding! Brush my teeth. I'm ready for breakfast. Don't worry, while you fix it I'll go get the dogs out of the laundry room, fix their breakfast and find their leashes. But I'll need you to turn off the alarm and open the child-proofed exterior door. Then I'll want my milk.
Really. That's how the morning goes. I think that counts as speaking in PARAGRAPHS!
"Mommy, bib. Na-na."
Translation: Mommy, I couldn't possibly start my breakfast yet. You forgot to put on my bib and you didn't give me a napkin to put in my lap. I'll wait for you to take care of those things and THEN I'll eat.
"Mommy, eyes?"
Translation: Mommy, I am up and ready to play. I see that you are still laying in bed. It must be because you are blind. Here, let me hand you your glasses and then I am sure you will get up and do all of the above mentioned things.
So who is ready to babysit?! She's completely easy for a novice to understand! I think I might need to start looking into Kindergarten for next fall. Clearly, she is well-advanced for her age!
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a comedian you are! Glad you haven't lost your sense of humor. love, hat
I see that Isabel and Albert have gone to similar language schools. the funny thing is that I understand him perfectly. I just don't get why other people don't....
Post a Comment