Thursday, May 28, 2009

I Wish My Spanish Was Better!!!

We got a great treat today - Isabelle's foster mom called to sing happy birthday to her! It was so sweet! She had even learned to say "Happy Birthday" in English, which was cool! Unfortunately, Monica wasn't here to translate, so it was a (very) short conversation!

Monica came over tonight and we called back - they want to try to webcam again soon. And then, as soon as Monica left, Ana called back! I was able to tell her that Monica had already left, but unfortunately I couldn't figure out what she wanted :( Soooo frustrating to try to have an on-going relationship with someone you can't understand!

I am so incredibly grateful for the love and care they gave Isabelle, and I know they love her dearly...I just wish we could communicate better! Oh well, it was still really neat that she made the effort to call, which I know also must have been really expensive for her. What a gift!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Isn't it great being in contact with our girl's foster families? I am so grateful to have them still in our lifes. Even though it is frustrating when you are struggling through the conversation. Been there.

Karen said...

From my experience, Happy Birthday is sung in English in Guatemala. Then, there is a second verse that says "We want cake!" in spanish (same tune) over and over. I was tickled to go to a birthday celebration at an hogar back in January and all of the kids sang in English! I had been trying to teach my kiddos the song in spanish!
Karen

Tonya Boster said...

It was so sweet that they called. I do have an idea for you when your friend Monica can't help. Victor Lopez will call them for you and will translate for you and then get back to you with a message if you ask him to. You can email him and give him the info. and phone #. Then he will email back with what they said. It is not the same as talking with them yourself or live with a tranlator, but it might work occasionally. Or Kim can give you details on how Victor tranlates there in GUA while you SKYPE with them.