Thursday, July 23, 2009

"Belle-By-Self"

We have a new saying/nickname around here..."Belle-by-self". It means my baby isn't a baby anymore :( It means that it feels like every day she figures out something else she can do "Belle-by-self." Today, for the first time she officially picked out her own outfit (yes, the yellow bows as well), got herself dressed (I had to do the bows), took her pj's and put them in the laundry, put on her shoes, and told me it was time to go to school.

Here's Isabelle in her outfit of choice...Elmo of course!

"Belle-by-self" started declaring her independence about a week ago when she decided she didn't need me to help her get into her carseat anymore (which is fine with me...that saves me hauling 32+ pounds in/out of the car multiple times a day!).

STEP 1: Climb in the car.
STEP 2: Climb up on the seat and get all of the straps arranged "just right."
STEP 3: Climb into the seat, put on the straps, and hook the clip (she can do the chest one but I still have to do the part that goes between her legs)
Now, whenever we go anywhere she spends a good portion of the ride asking about "Belle-by-self"...she has to confirm that she is, indeed, going to get to let herself down once we arrive at our destination! Too funny!
Belle-by-self also PUSHED our basket all the way around Walgreens as I shopped for school supplies for church. No, not a shopping cart, a BASKET. Like the hand-held kind. She started out holding the handles but as I kept adding stuff (and as SHE kept adding stuff!) it got too heavy. She still wouldn't let me help so she ended up bent over pushing it through the store. Finally, this little girl who was maybe 10 came over, gave me this really mean look, and said, "I'LL carry it for you!" She picked up the basket, walked over to me, handed it to me, and walked off. Needless to say, Isabelle started crying! Basket back on floor, meltdown averted, and we made our way (slowly) to the front of the store. Too funny!
And I wouldn't want you to think Belle-by-self has been having all the fun. I looked over at the couch last night and Eli (Mr, "Not-Allowed-on-the-Couch") was looking oh so innocent! Clearly, I have total control around here. Right. [insert sarcasm here]

1 comment:

HeatherC said...

At work, I have "Hannah-do", "Dylan do it", and "I do now". Independence is a blessing and a curse :-)