Thursday, October 29, 2009

Feels Like Home...

My first post from our new house!  Sorry, no pictures yet because I wasn't expecting to have internet coverage so they are still in my camera (or in my mind...you know...all those pics of what the house WILL look like...one of these days!)

We have only been here for two nights, and I have to say that it already feels like "home" in a way our house in Winston never did.  Don't get me wrong, the parsonage was a spacious, well-kept house, but for us it was always just a house. 

In the weird world of ministry, it's often the case that your housing is chosen for you; I'm lucky that 2-of-3 have been situations where I have had the opportunity to choose.  I didn't realize the difference it makes, but those of you reading who are UM pastors understand :)

I think I also have just been blessed with a house that is simply a perfect fit.  When I reach my hand out, the light switches are where I expect them to be.  The front porch has rocking chairs and a porch swing.  My bedroom isn't enormous but all of the walls fit my furniture exactly.  The shower head is high enough I don't have to arch my back to wash my hair.

Isabelle can climb on the toilet without help (or without falling in).  Oh, and as an aside, she apparently has decided to potty train herself.  Go figure.  I keep finding her in the bathroom, diaper off, pants down, sitting on the potty.  Too funny!

Oh, and the closets?  Let's just say I have empty drawers...

Isabelle asks countless times throughout the day "Mommy, Belle see Belle's room more now?" (she wants me to hold her hand going up the steps so she can play in her room).  Isabelle understands this is home, and she loves it!  When we pull up in the driveway she smiles and says, "Mommy, see more new house!"

Oh, and we have AMAZING neighbors.  They seem to knock all hours of the day.  Did I mention that the siding is wood and that there are 3 (all wooden) decks?  Yes, we have woodpeckers!  And I thought someone was trying to break in during my shower!

Speaking of breaking in, it does my heart good to be in a neighborhood where I finally feel safe.  Don't get me wrong, I'll still be careful, but my cooler is sitting on the front porch and I can pretty much guarantee it will still be there in the morning.  Safety offers great peace of mind...

We are home and it feels good.  Right.  Comfortable.  A place where I can heal and where God can do great things.  Praise be to God!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Glad you are enjoying your new place! Can't wait to see pictures.

Tonya Boster said...

Any pictures yet?