Saturday, February 27, 2010

Memories...

Oh, the memories... As soon as I walked into Isabelle's classroom I saw it in her cubby. My heart practically skipped a beat. I wanted to run straight to the car and pour over it. I was already thinking about what I might find.

The Scholastic book catalog! I don't remember how long we got them when I was a kid, I guess probably all the way through elementary school, but I LOVED the day we got a new scholastic catalog. Yeah, I know, I'm a dork. Always have been. The only day better than the days the catalogues were passed out were the days the books actually arrived!

I know I'm all grown up. I have a car. The books would probably be cheaper at Wal*Mart. But I don't care. I still went straight home and tried to contain my excitement :) And yes, Isabelle thought the catalog was pretty cool as well, but after I realized that a bunch of it was Easter stuff and that I'd justify the purchases by having the Easter bunny make the delivery, I didn't let her spend too much time looking through it.

I know. I need a life. Or something more exciting happening in my days than the Scholastic book catalog. But I still remember pouring over the catalog circling tons of stuff and then bargaining with my mom over how many she'd let me get. And I remember usually coming away with a pretty good haul.

Don't worry. Isabelle will be making out well. Only these days, if you order on-line the daycare earns free books. So I guess I won't cut out the order form and carry it back with a check in a white envelope, the way I did as a kid. Some things can change. But some things stay the same :)

2 comments:

Elsie said...

Hi Lauren! I remember the Scholastic book catalog too, i LOVED it! :) :) :) I used to carry the white envelope with my order and my mom's check too. Great memories...

Kim said...

We get a Scholastic catalog it seems every 3 weeks at Kate's school. I LOVE it too. Loved it as a kid and am such a big supporter of it now! I do have to kinda control myself though. I try to limit myself to 3 books every order. That reminds me, her order is due tomorrow!