Thursday, August 12, 2010

Some Things (Thankfully) Do Not Change Very Much!

Praise the Lord! The weather has cooperated! Margaret is home but still not well, so we really aren’t “doing” much of anything. I must admit, though, that I think this is exactly what I needed! I dearly miss my routine when I was here – I’d get up in the mornings and spend a few hours (in my pj’s) working from home (no office at any of the churches) and then would get dressed and go walking before heading off to coffee mornings or visits or meetings or whatever.
Somerset countryside is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and I have wonderful memories of the countless hours I spent exploring, taking pictures, and just spending quiet time with God. I miss that. Being here has made me realize how good for me that time was, both physically and spiritually. Good for the soul.


Here’s why!...


These pictures (above and below) are of the view from just up the hill from the manse where I used to live.  Les and Margaret live on the other side of town, which added a bit to the walk, but it was SOOOO worth it!  I am so grateful that the weather cooperated (and that I didn't get lost, which would not have been a first!)
If I die, you can just bury me here.  Seriously, though, it seems a bit of a shame to waste the best views on folks who can't enjoy them any more!  I have the greatest memories of doing funerals at this cemetery - we'd start at the church down at the edge of town and the guy from the funeral home would lead the hearse...carrying his umbrella and top hat and wearing his tails...and I'd walk beside him! 

When we got around the corner from the church and out of site, I'd jump in the back of the hearse (yes, in the jump seat next to the coffin) and ride up the hill to the cemetery :)  When it was all over, the funeral home guy would drive me home, where I'd climb out of the hearse!  Must have been quite a site!  They were always careful to tell me exactly where to stand...so I didn't have to worry about falling in the grave (since, of course, it was often raining and flooded!)  Ahhh....the memories!
After going up through the fields and taking a quick detour to see the cemetery, I LOVE to get to walk through Dillington Estate.  All of my walks were in the am when the sun was behind the house, so I switched this to B&W because it showed the house better.  The house and the grounds are amazing and so peaceful!  No sheep this time, though.  I was bummed.
The cows at Dillington.  Or what was left of them after the Bonner's truck came through :(  Yes, it's still a working farm...
They have changed the entrance to Dillington since I lived here and now there is a gorgeous view of the property as I was leaving (this is the house from the other side).  I love it!
The road that runs through the estate...
I have been reminded so many times already how much good some time away and some quality time spent reading and walking and praying does for the soul!

No comments: