Well, here she is! This is one of the 10 original referral pictures I received (taken June 17 at 3 weeks old). I should receive updated pictures and medical information about every 2 months, when Isabelle's foster mom takes her for her well visit check-ups. I'm hoping that means mid-August, but I've been told the timing isn't perfect. Isabelle was 7 lbs at birth and all tests and stuff have been normal so far!I really went into this whole adoption thing thinking I'd be adopting from Russia, but after 9 months in that program, it was just becoming clear that things weren't going to work out for me and by a stroke of luck (or God working...), my agency had Isabelle's referral but didn't have a family ready to accept her; they said if I wanted to switch programs they would essentially 'hold' her for me while I redid the paperwork, which I've madly been doing the last week!
One of the incredible things about the Guatemalan system is that I am able to get information on the birth mother (name, age, HIV status, where she was born and where she now lives, little picture, and more!) I feel really good about knowing that I will have some history to share with Isabelle as she grows up and I even have enough specifics to be able to find her birth mother if we ever wanted to.
I'm cautiously excited, but as I write, I know that I'm not going to have anyone reading this any time too soon - I feel like I need to get my paperwork in and be a little farther along in the process before letting everyone in on my big news! Her birth mother has the legal right to change her mind at any point before the adoption is finalized, but my case worker has said that typically if birth mothers are going to change their minds, it happens early in the process.
One of the first things that will happen when I submit my paperwork will be that Isabelle will be DNA tested, which is required by the US gov't for all children coming out of Guatemala. Her foster mom will take her to the lab and her birth mom will be there, will see her, and will even hold her to get their picture taken together. If she's going to change her mind, THAT'S probably when it would happen. SO, many of you are probably reading this after getting the news that DNA has (hopefully!!!) come back as a match and her birth mother hasn't reclaimed her.
That's all for now!

No comments:
Post a Comment