Tuesday, September 25, 2007

US Dept of State warning....not good...

Well, ever since I posted last week with the updates, I have been feeling the most confident I've felt since this whole process started that I would/will indeed be bringing Isabelle home. I even bought the rug for the nursery yesterday and have spent the week painting letters to spell out her name in different colors on the wall. Then today the US Department of State posted a new warning on their website...instead of trying to explain it, I'll just quote:

"WARNING: The U.S. Department of State urges American citizens not to commence an adoption process from Guatemala at this time. Fundamental changes in Guatemalan and U.S. adoption law will take effect over the next six months. These changes are likely to inject considerable uncertainty into the adoption process Guatemala has stated that it will become a Hague Convention country on January 1, 2008. Guatemalan officials have informed us that Guatemala plans to require cases pending or filed after December 31, 2007 to meet Hague standards, even if the adoption procedures commenced before that date.

They have also informed us they will not process adoptions for non-Hague member countries after December 31. We understand this to mean that Guatemala will stop processing adoptions to the United States beginning January 1, 2008, until U.S. accession to the Hague Convention takes effect..."

Potentially incredibly bad news. Up until this point everyone has been saying that they can't make new laws retroactive and affect cases already in process but apparently now SOMEONE in Guatemala is telling SOMEONE in the US that even cases already in process will be stopped.

Sort of shell shocked...

No comments: