Saturday, November 17, 2007

Getting Close!

Well, I haven't posted in a while because I had first good news and then bad news and then no news...so it has basically ended at nothing happening! My caseworker called last week to say that I was out of Family Court (where my case seems to have gotten stuck since the first week of Sept) and into PGN (the Guatemalan gov't part), but she warned me that she never 100% believes what the agency's assistant in Guatemala tells her until she sees it in writing.

Apparently when my caseworker asked for it in writing they discovered an error...she had confused me with the ROBERTSON family and I was, indeed, STILL stuck in Family Court. For the third week they have told me that I will be out 'this week.' I have enquired as to whether 'this week' in Guatemala would be comparable to the phrase 'just now' in South Africa...meaning any time between now and whenever they feel like it!

All that is to say that I was really excited to find out I was in PGN, because with the uncertainty with the change in laws I will feel much more confident in my case being completed (and completed in some sort of timely manner) if I am in PGN prior to any law change. Then, I was just as disappointed to find out I was NOT. Now I'm just frustrated with the wait.

Luckily (I guess???) the Guatemalan Congress was supposed to vote on the amendments to the law on Wednesday but now are saying 'next week.' They can't ever enact a new law if they still haven't gotten around to finishing with it, so that's something :)

On another note, my travel group has grown! My aunt (Hat), my mom's sister, has decided to go with us to Guatemala! She'll arrive on Friday afternoon, so by then we should have Isabelle and she should be good and screaming it out! She'll leave Tuesday morning when my mom does and then I'm on my own until Friday!

That's all my news...maybe I'll get out of Family Court for Thanksgiving - I'm eternally hopeful and trust that in God's time it WILL work out and Isabelle WILL get home (I just want it to be SOON!)

1 comment:

Barb Schott said...

Lauren, you are amazing. I can't begin to fathom the roller coaster ride for you and your family. Our ESL teacher is from Columbia and has been calling Guatamala for my Assist Prin. concerning a four year old child's status to be adopted. I know Andrea, Esl teacher, has been extremely frustrated when talking with the Guatamalan officials, and she talks the language. My AP is praying for you and Isabelle. I will continue to pray that God's angels will surround you, your fmaily and Isabelle with protection and peace and for journey mercies. love barb