Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It's a Law!

I don't have details yet, but the Guatemalan Congress FINALLY passed a law yesterday regarding their adoption process! Hopefully more info will come out today, but there is provision for 'in process' cases to be grandfathered in under the old law and it also provides for future eligibility of single parents to adopt!

I anticipate there will probably be some delays with my adoption (and all others) in the new year because the new law says that all 'in process' cases will need to be registered by Jan 31 with an office that does not yet exist. The people who are to make up that office are to be appointed within the first 2 weeks of January and then have 60 days to set their policies and get established...you do the math...no one at this point is quite sure what that might mean, but at least it is SOMETHING, which is more than they have managed in YEARS of going back and forth on all this! I'll post again if I get more details!

1 comment:

Barb Schott said...

Hang in there my friend. I think of you often and pray for you, Isabelle and your family.
love, barb