Saturday, February 23, 2008

Just to Clarify...

I've gotten lots of encouraging replies and e-mails since my last post, and I am indeed very excited that things are hopefully moving forward! I just wanted to clarify that even if I get out of PGN in 8 weeks, it will still be longer than that before I can bring her home :( After I exit PGN, that means I have 'official' approval on the Guatemalan side, but there is still a lot of paperwork and stuff that has to be done before I can actually go get her. My agency currently estimates that this part takes about 4-8 weeks.

It includes:
- new birth certificate for Isabelle (her legal name will be Tania Izabel Richardson) My attorney will actually have to make the ~3 hour drive to where Isabelle was born to requst this
- 2nd DNA test to 'prove' she is the same baby that I started the process with...Swab is taken at DNA lab in Guatemala but then is sent to the US for processing and I'll be able to track it via Fed Ex to know when it has arrived at the US Embassy!
- doctor's visit to the Embassy doctor (to make sure she isn't bringing any communicable diseases back and the dr also does a thorough exam and sometimes is able to give more medical info than has been made available to the family earlier)
- final round of shots
- Passport picture taken and US passport issued
- lots of paperwork I have to do and take with me

THEN I will get an e-mail from the US Embassy letting me know my appointment date and time and THAT is the final factor that means I can book a flight and get down there! A few months back people were sometimes only getting 24-48 hours notice, but right now people seem to be getting notice of the appointment about 2 weeks in advance. That, like everything else, is subject to change! Hoping things move quick...I am still praying I will be able to get Isabelle home before she turns 1 on May 27 :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

((((Sending "Guatemalans please make this process go faster" prayer vibes))))

Love,
The Bruce's