Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Not Sure How Much More I Can Take...

Okay, so I FINALLY got an update on my case, and I'm NOT HAPPY about it. My case was kicked out for 4 reasons:

1) Isabelle's birth certificate was 'missing.' Yeah right, like my attorney didn't give them the birth certificate...

2) The paperwork showing that Ana is the foster mom caring for her was missing. Again, yeah right. It was done months ago; Ana has to carry these documents wherever she goes.

3) Isabelle's medical report was not up to date...uhhh...if it is going to take them MONTHS to process a file, how can the medical info POSSIBLY be up to date?! Absolutely crazy. From what I understand, once the file is submitted, it is not possible for an attorney to 'add' to the file, so how could the medical NOT be old??? Totally crazy.

4) Now, I'll say this one concerns me a bit...apparently Isabelle's birth mother's birth certificate is missing a signature and also there is some sort of number that doesn't match something it is supposed to. I'm not clear if this is a signature from when she was born...in which case I have no idea what they do about it 30 years later...or if it is something like the notary not signing it when it was 'officially copied.' The first could be a big problem, the second hopefully wouldn't be.

Okay, so 3 bogus reasons to be rejected and 1 that I don't really understand. But my day gets even better. (warning: this part is going to sound totally selfish and unpastoral, but this is the impatient mother in me speaking...) My attorney's father is in the hospital and is not expected to live. She is with him and not working...for who knows how long. Like every other piece of the puzzle, it seems like it is always only 1 person who can do any 1 task. So my file sits some more.

Speaking of my file sitting...

Feb 18: My case was resubmitted to PGN for what was hopefully going to be a max of 8 weeks before approval

Feb 20: Reviewer rejected my case (found this out TODAY)

Mar 18: Told my case was rejected March 11 when I called PGN directly

March 28: My case worker actually gets confirmation that my case was rejected.

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. Oh, and it was the same guy who rejected it this time as rejected it the last time! The only thing keeping me going is that in 13 days Isabelle will be in my arms...at least for a week. Too bad I don't have the money and can't just take leave now, or I'd move to Guatemala and foster Isabelle until the adoption is complete (lots of people DO do that...)

I have just finished writing a letter to the president of Guatemala, who is currently trying to remove the head of PGN from his post and is looking for support. He has my FULL support!

Please keep me and Isabelle and this entire mess in your prayers. At this point, it is only going to be prayer that will get me through all this.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Lauren that totally sucks! I am so sorry sorry for all your ups and downs. Enjoy your trip and get you lots of Isabelle lovin'! She is absolutely beautiful!

Kim said...

I am sorry to hear about the mess that previos make of our lives! I am just "getting over" a previo of my own. They just plain SUCK! No nice way of putting it. I hope you get good news soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lauren...I am so very sorry to hear all of this! Please know that I am keeping you close in my prayers during this time. Is there anything specific that I can do for you? Take care of yourself...David and I just bought our first 'Tae Bo' DVDs today and if you want to focus your frustration, I *TOTALLY* recommend these workouts--it's VERY therapeutic!! :) We love you and Isabelle...keep the faith and stay strong. God is making a way for you both through this...

Lori said...

Oh Lauren,

I am so sorry for the delays! I wish I knew how to make everything better! I will pray for you. It is so hard to wait for our children and be dependent on others to get the work done. We just have to trust that God is in control and in his timing. It doesn't make since that our babies would spend an extra day in Guatemala but I have to believe that God is growing me through this process.
I will pray that Isabelle will be home very soon! If I knew how to take care of 5 children by myself in another country I would foster too!

Blessings,
Lori