Thursday, April 24, 2008

Unbelievable...PGN Shutdown...

I'd say I can't believe it, but at this point nothing really surprises me anymore. Apparently the Attorney General of Guatemala has been fired and replaced, and Barrios (the guy who was the head of PGN and had to sign off on all adoption cases before they could be approved) has also been fired and replaced.

We knew this was coming, but as is typical in Guatemala, nothing is easy. In GUA, apparently you can appeal being fired, so the new people are afraid to do anything until their jobs are 'guaranteed.' Who knows when that might be.

And the woman who has replaced Barrios says she wants an audit (we aren't sure at this point if that means an audit of the office to determine which staff members are corrupt or an audit of the cases...). So...yet more delays. No work happening in PGN and they have already stated that no cases will be approved for the time being.

The hope is that perhaps after the delays it might actually speed things up (cases used to be processed by PGN in a matter of days rather than months/years). Here's hoping, since I'm not sure how much more I can take.

3 comments:

nora said...

Lauren,

This happened to us in our first adoption when Barrios took office. Its hard to wait, but once things get moving, then they really fly - at least that was our experience. Hoping you get good news soon.

Kim said...

This is so discouraging for all of us involved. I agree, nothing surprises me anymore. Let's hope it all gets straigtened out soon. Our babies will come home.

Lori said...

Lauren,

Well said. I am feeling quite hopeful that this will all work out for the good.

Lori