Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Peace


I feel like the stars are finally aligning for everything to work out and for me to bring Isabelle Grace home SOON! Of course I have wanted her home ASAP since the first day I saw her picture, but things are all coming together in a way that makes me feel like God is saying the time is (almost) right.

As a minister, I don't have the kind of 'job' that I can just leave behind at the end of the day (or that I can ever really leave behind, for that matter). I've recently alluded to some problems I've been having with some things going on with church and to be honest the last 8 months have been the most difficult and most painful of my ministry, but things are finally turning around.

Feelings and opinions have been shared and at least mostly have been worked through and I am stronger for it and I feel am in a much better place to be in ministry at my current appointment than I have been up to this point.

I admit, things had gotten to a point where I was looking forward to my 3 months of family leave that I'll get when Isabelle comes home almost as much because it meant I'd be away from church as because it meant Isabelle would be here. That wasn't a healthy place for me to be and it wasn't a healthy place for the church to be either. I have only recently come to realize how important it is for my work life to be solid and secure before bringing Isabelle into it, because my ministry is and will always be tied into my family life. That's just the way it is.

I can't share everything, but there are a few tidbits of the past few days that I do want to share :)

First, the picture above. This week we are having Vacation Bible School and last night we ended with a very special prayer time. 'B' (one of my middle schoolers) was going in today for some pretty serious spinal surgery, so at the end of VBS I asked all the kids (and adults) to come up and lay hands on her and we all prayed for her and that her surgery would go well.

Today I was at the Children's Hospital just after 6 am and stayed with the family (including her 6th grade sister) until we got word that she was safely out of surgery around 2:15 this afternoon. We prayed together a couple times throughout the day and then when the surgeon came he said things had gone so well that she wouldn't have to go to the ICU like he had originally thought. Her younger sister told me afterwards that she knew her sister didn't have to go to the ICU because I was there.

Now, I don't think it was me, per se, but I truly believe in the power of prayer and today was an incredible reminder of what I was called to do and why! God is good!

Also, yesterday I got to sit down and have a very special conversation with two little girls who have made the decision that they want to be baptized. In the Methodist church we baptize infants, so while there are some opportunities to baptize older folks, it isn't something that happens every week. I asked the girls what they thought it meant to be baptized and one of them said, "It means we can't cuss anymore." I love it! That says it all :) I mean, if you think about it there is a lot wrapped up in that one little habit they know they will have to change and are willing to do. It's a start and we all have to start somewhere :)

Anyway, I could go on, but I'll spare you the details. Please pray for my friend Lori and also for B, who both had surgery today...I've seen Lori back on the computer so I know she must be doing okay :) B will be in the hospital a few more days, and I look forward to welcoming her back to church when she's up to it!

God is good. All the time.

6 comments:

Tonya Boster said...

I am glad you feel God's peace and for all the things you have successfully dealt with. Isabelle will be home soon, and I can't wait until you can SHOUT your OUT!

Blessings,

Tonya

Anonymous said...

I know this is your week! I can't wait to hear that you got your OUT!!! It is coming...Steph

nora said...

All the time, God is good.

Laurie, its your turn. I know you'll get good news really soon - if not this week, then next.

Good for you for finding and remebering that work and home are a balance and they both have to be healthy for you to be healthy. Its a tough road, but clearly you are well on your way.

nora said...

All the time, God is good.

Laurie, its your turn. I know you'll get good news really soon - if not this week, then next.

Good for you for finding and remebering that work and home are a balance and they both have to be healthy for you to be healthy. Its a tough road, but clearly you are well on your way.

Kim said...

Glad things are turning around for you Lauren. I agree, good things are on the horizon for the both of us and our little girls!

Anonymous said...

Soon.....Isabelle and Isabella will be able to play together again! Whoo Hoo!!!