Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Success!!!.....sort of!

Tonight Isabelle and I went to the YWCA to go swimming for the first time! I'll say the first 3/4 was a great success! It is a new Y with a big "water park" area that slopes in like a wave pool so Isabelle was able to just start out sitting in an inch or so of water and work her way into slightly deeper waters.

The funniest thing was that she wouldn't stand up! She CRAWLED all through the water but only stood up once, and that was when she was holding my hand! Maybe all those times telling her to sit down in the bathtub really have sunk in...

She had a great time crawling around and it was a great way for the two of us to spend time together. She liked being held, splashing me, crawling over me, etc. For all you guatemom lurkers, I'd say it was a great bonding time!

Until the water park turned on.

I had timed our trip so that we'd have some time before the water park turned on, but since she loves the shower, the faucet, the sink, being splashed, etc., I really thought she was going to like the water park. I was wrong.

She screamed bloody murder. We left.

I think the problem was more the sheer amount of noise from all the splashing moreso than the water itself but either way that was the end of our pool time.

Big mistake was trying to shower while we were there. Let's just say we won't be trying that again. It was ugly. And I'm glad the dressing room was empty.

But we'll be back tomorrow (to the pool, NOT the dressing room). We are taking mommy and me swimming lessons! Not like she's actually old enough to learn to swim but I just thought it would be fun and give her a chance to get used to the water. The lessons were a shower gift from my friend Donna, along with a bathing suit! Very clever idea :)

No pics...I was guessing the camera would be more than I could manage and I was probably right!

No comments: