Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Progress???


For those of you who check daily, sorry I've been slack! I have a good excuse, but that's all I'm saying at this point :) Things are still going well, although we've hit a bump in the road. Isabelle has been sleeping with me since about her 4th day home, but on Saturday night she decided that climbing out of the bed (repetitively) would be fun. After her showing up down the hall in the family room multiple times, I knew I had to do something before she hurt herself.



We are sleeping in an antique (or at least really old looking...) bed that is parsonage furniture, so I wasn't sure about disassembling it and obviously that wasn't a choice at that particular moment. So.....Isabelle is sleeping in her crib. And she's not happy about it. I'm still sleeping in the bed in her room (which, to be honest, I may do for some time. The mattress is much better than mine and I have sort of gotten used to using my bed for dumping out the clean laundry...) but she's in the crib.



Poor thing. We've had lots of tears at naptime and at bedtime since then and neither of us have slept through the night since. Last night I had this totally weird dream about rats and stuff being in my house...traumatic for both of us, I think.



And tonight I fixed her bottle, which always provokes a HUGE grin, handed it to her and she started walking down the hall towards her room crying the whole way. I kept saying "Isa go night night." She kept crying. She walked into her room, looked at my bed, paused, I said "Isa go night night" again, she started sobbing, and walked over to the crib. She gets it, she just doesn't like it.



She's gotten clingy and cried yesterday and the day before when I dropped her off at childwatch at the Y. She's not getting solid naps (today 45 minutes of crying and 45 minutes of sleep rather than her usual 1 hour 15 minutes of napping...) and that's not helping.



Tonight, though, not as many tears (well, after we got down the hall anyway).



And Faith doesn't like it when Isabelle cries. So if I have the baby monitor on and she hears Isabelle crying, she goes crazy and runs around barking at the monitor. That makes me want to scream. No win situation.



Anyway, it's not like I wanted her in my bed forever, but the 2nd week she's in preschool, the week before we go away for Thanksgiving, and before I start back to work isn't really when I wanted to institute this change. All the reading I've done on attachment would say shame on me. Oh well.



Comments from those who have BTDT???


On another subject, for those into the lingo, I got my 884 file back today! They said they received the request on 10/20 so that's great time! Translation: when I brought Isabelle through Immigration in Miami, I had to give them a big sealed envelope of original documents that I never got to see (that's standard protocol). Well, after you immigrate the gov't doesn't need them anymore, so you can fill out a form and they will send them back. I got an original picture of Isabelle at 3 months old that I hadn't seen before and a picture of Isabelle's birth mom that is MUCH better (and clearer) than anything I had previously. I'm thrilled!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry it's been such a rough little period of time for you and Isabelle! I'm thinking of you so much during this time of transition...especially during the holidays, which is always so hectic. I miss you and hope to see the both of you sometime soon.

MA said...

Stay firm. Teaching Isabelle to sleep by herself will pay off in the long run, and help her get the rest she needs. The best book I've seen on this is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It has very specific helpful tips for all age ranges & parents swear by it. It can really test your resolve, but little ones need their sleep...so hang in there. I think Isabelle is doing great.

Kim said...

Don't have any words of wisdom for you Lauren, but I am looking for clues as well. So far Kate only likes to play in her crib, and I'm not pushing it yet. It is so hard to sleep with a toddler in the bed! The 80 pound lab in bed with us doesn't help though either.