Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Time Away

Today I had something I haven't had once since I got home with Isabelle in September. 4 HOURS TO MYSELF! She had preschool today (only Wednesdays for November) and then I had her stay for 'lunch bunch,' which gave me an extra hour.

I have to say, it felt strange. What was the first thing I did? Target, of course! I got about 10 feet from my car and had this paranoid feeling that Isabelle was either trapped in the car or that I'd just randomly left her sitting in the stroller by my trunk. I guess it's a good sign to feel like she's missing!

I love her to pieces and thus far the single parenting thing is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be (granted, I'm not trying to balance work...), but some time on my own was good. I didn't do anything I couldn't have done with Isabelle, but I think I probably accomplished about three times as much!

And as luck would have it my friend Anne called me randomly mid-morning and asked what I was doing for lunch...so I even got to have a nice lunch with a friend before picking up Isabelle!

Preschool comes with mixed emotions for both of us right now. I feel like she likes it, but when I left her this morning she was sobbing. As I walked out, I ran into one of the other moms whose little boy came home from Vietnam in the spring, and she asked how Isabelle was doing...I said she was sobbing, and Kristin said, "That's great! That means she's attaching." Great. She's hysterical and I'm supposed to be glad about it. And a part of me is. I understand what Kristin was saying and she's right. But it's still hard. But I sure did enjoy a morning of shopping :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

Dominic seems to like preschool too, it maybe a little confusing, overwhelming for them at first. He is totally beat after just three hours!

Also, I have discovered this week that Dominic is sleeping better with a noise machine in his room. I have it set on ocean, and he has been sleeping good thru the night and even during nap today at my parents.

Tonya Boster said...

Hi Lauren. I am glad that Isabelle is attaching. Leaving them is hard, but you need to take a little time for yourself every now and then. You will be a better mom for it. This will also help the transition for when you go back to work. I am glad you all are doing well! Bella looks at Isabelle's pictures on your blog and waves.

Blessings,

Tonya

Unknown said...

If I had some time for myself with no children. I wouldn't know what to do first. LOL. It was hard for me at first to let my oldest son go to preschool. It's easier now that it's his second year. Your daughter is beautiful!

I'm a fellow NC'er stopping by to say hello!