Monday, August 3, 2009

A Day to Remember...

Today has been a day for remembering, honoring, and reflecting. Today is Isabelle's birth mother's birthday. We didn't throw a party or have a cake (although in the future when Isabelle is big enough, if she wants to honor the day in some way I'm certainly up for it), but all day I've been thinking about how grateful I am to this woman I may never even get the chance to meet.

One of the blessings of my adoption taking so long and getting caught up in the government implementing the 2nd DNA test was that it meant that Isabelle's birth mother was called back last June (after last seeing Isabelle in the previous September). At that point, there was an additional interview, paperwork, etc., but the blessing/comfort to me was that Isabelle's foster mom had the (brief) chance to speak with Isabelle's birth mother.

I just pray that in that conversation (by then I had visited and spent time with the foster family 3 times) that Isabelle's foster mom was able to offer some sort of comfort and peace by sharing my love for Isabelle and by offering an assurance that she would be loved and cared for.

I can't ever imagine being in a situation where I had to make the heart-wrenching decision she made. I will be eternally grateful and just pray that at some point I may have the opportunity to thank her and love on her in person. What a gift.

No comments: