I just wanted to let folks know, if you are interested that Sunday night (Jan 20) at 7 PM EST Dateline will be airing a piece they have been working on about Guatemalan adoptions. One of the main adoption websites I follow is www.guatadopt.com and the moderator, Kevin, has become a huge voice for Guatemalan adoptions and helped with the piece.
I know that it is not going to portray Guatemalan adoptions in a completely positive light, but hope that it will provide some insight to the process, both positive and negative, and help folks understand what's happening a little bit better.
Kevin says, "The debate following this show will undoubtedly get heated. There are rational people on all sides of the debate - people with firm beliefs. There are people who have been victimized; we can not ignore the reality in their experiences. Equally important though is the larger picture beyond individual cases. What should countries do about corruption in order to keep the positive aspects of adoption? In that debate, we families with children from Guatemala are the voice of the positive aspects of adoption.
We’re not bureaucrats. We’re not NGOs. We don’t earn our living though adoption. We are just ordinary families with children we love more than words could describe. Many of us now support children and other projects in Guatemala. Many of us know the story of children’s birthmother. Our experience is more than just paying someone in order to adopt a child from some easy country. I could go on but you get the idea."
NBC has created a website to collect stories and pictures of families connected to adoption in Guatemala...I'll add my 2 cents at some point.
I don't know if it is going to be the entire 2 hours but at some point 7-9 PM Sunday night, you should be able to find it on Dateline NBC :)
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment