Friday, December 5, 2008

Times Are Changin'

I know, I've been a slack blogger, but things have been crazy! We went to my parents for the week of Thanksgiving, and then on the way back we made a detour to my friend Kristin's house for her son's 1st birthday party. My time off has been wonderful but bittersweet; it has made me realize how much I usually miss with family and friends because of commitments with church.

We were at my parents' for 8 days, which is something I haven't done since college (I think, anyway...), and then we actually got to be there to celebrate with Kristin and her family! We've been friends since 1st grade, so I know her entire extended family, and she and her husband tried for many years to get pregnant, so it was a true joy to get to celebrate with all of them. It's almost habitual to say no to most invitations and family functions; this 3 months off has been a real blessing.

This time last year I was in Guatemala meeting Isabelle for the first time and Kristin was delivering Asa :) Wow, how things change in a year!

Here are some pics of our recent adventures:

My family isn't in to gas logs. It's the real deal for us!


Isabelle is modeling her fancy new winter coat, compliments of my parents. We were a little worried when we tried it on her for the first time because my kid, who ALWAYS loves clothes, screamed. I think she's realized she likes the fur, though, and now she's fine with it!
Asa's party had a construction theme - Isabelle's favorite part was the hats!

All dressed up and ready for church on the 1st Sunday in Advent. Isn't she adorable?!
Okay, another teaching moment gone bad. Here's Isabelle with her Advent wreath and the candle for the first Sunday...
We had a bit more success later and for the most part the candle has stayed attached to the wreath throughout the week. She does seem to like putting it in her shopping cart and driving it around, though...
Isabelle started preschool full-time on Monday and by Wednesday had the snots. That didn't take long. Oh, and she has a new talent. She's been able to blow her own nose for a while...now she can even tell when she needs to blow and goes for it...EVEN WITHOUT A KLEENEX. GROSS. I have spent the last few days covered in snot and drool, which seems to come with the package. Needless to say, now I have the snots as well.
Monday was our 18-month checkup and she's gained 1 1/2 pounds and grown 2 inches in 6 WEEKS! No wonder her pants are short!
We have a weekend of fun planned and then on Tuesday I go back to work. I love being with Isabelle all the time, but know I need to get back to work and start figuring out how motherhood in 'real life' is going to work. Only time will tell :)

2 comments:

Gail said...

Glad you had a good long vacation. Everyone needs one.

Kim said...

She certainly is cute! Love the winter coat! I head back to work in 3 1/2 weeks and I am dreading it. You are always one step ahead of me...LOL!